2.06.2012

YOKE OF MIRRORS






This is a series that has been on my mind for well over a year, taking different forms in my sketchbook, playing with different materials, dimensions, shapes, and meaning. It required a great deal of planning, measuring & mathematics before I could begin construction, and as I plotted, it continued to reinvent itself. Strange that these mirrors have traveled with me while my mind pondered, initially, the life of an artist as empath, then evolved further after extensive conversations with a friend regarding her thesis on epilepsy and mirror neurons, conversations which now seem like eerie harbingers of my fate. Now it seems to reflect the three, which work in enduring concert: artist, empath, epileptic. 

It does not end here; this series will continue, and most likely be published in the future with essays written by my aforementioned friend. There is much more to learn from this yoke I have carried.

Constructed by hand out of recycled leather, stitched with 154 individual mirrors.

4 comments:

  1. These are above and beyond what I imagined. A real incite to you and your soul. A wonderful compliment to Stephanie's ideas too. I am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, it is such a pleasure to finally share these with those that have known about the project for nearly as long as I. I am so gratified to know it doesn't let down your expectations. It is a blessing indeed, as what we picture in our minds rarely is satiated by physical form. I am also, always, thinking of you and missing you.

      Delete
  2. This is incredibly beautiful! I love that you made the leather adornment to be part of a total work of art... mirrors, lights and captured light, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Diane! Your words are always encouragement.

      Delete