11.05.2012

VELVET STITCHED, CALAVERA





My friend Kim & I went to a Dia de los Muertos celebration at Harvard's Peabody Museum last Friday. We dressed as La Catrina, and though I began with the intent of making a very traditional hat to my costume, accident, form led to my creating a much more avant-garde hat instead. It's quite crude in construction if you look closely, but the effect is really all that I need in most projects like this.

Unfortunately, the only photos we took of our costumes were under terrible lighting by iPhones. So apologies given, here are some captures of us.


Costume contest stickers sullying the impact, I suppose.



We were under the impression that everyone would be in costume, but it ended up that we were quite a spectacle, resulting in nearly everyone we passed asking if they could take their pictures with us. The beautiful mariachi band eventually distracted them and us. So heart enlarging to hear an entire room sing along with them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment